US Dubai Consulate FAQ

HOME > BEFORE MY INTERVIEW > General Questions

There is no process to move or replace an existing visa. Applicants will need to apply for a new visa if they wish to have one for their new passport.

Applicants can request an expedited appointment by following the web link to request an emergency appointment.

Please visit:

The following web link will provide more information regarding work visas for the USA. 

Please visit: 

Applicants may apply for a US visa from any US Embassy or Consulate in the world regardless of their visa situation. However, at the time of their interview, applicants will need to provide proof of their economic, social and financial ties to a residence overseas in order to qualify for a US visa.

Applicant can still use the previous visa issued to them in their old passports in order to travel to the USA. However, we recommend that they check to ensure that the biographic information from the new passport matches the data on the US visa. This includes applicant’s surname, first name, date of birth, and nationality.

Applicants should carry all necessary supporting documents with them to their visa interviews.  Please note that supporting documentation is not a requirement, but applicants may wish to bring documents that help them to prove their social, economic, and financial ties to a residence overseas. Non-immigrant visas do not require letters of invitation from family members or any third party individual in order to qualify for a US visa.  If your immediate family is applying for a visa and your visa has already been issued, it may be helpful for you to give your family member a copy of your US visa to bring to their visa interview.

Applicants that have made errors on their DS-160 application form should fill out a new form and submit it online. They should also carry the new form on the day of their visa interview.

If you have changed schools in the United States, we recommend that you apply for a new US visa, using your new I-20 form, before returning to the United States.

A valid B1/B2 visa will not be canceled if the bearer is applying for another US visa of a different type.

All applicants for a U.S. visa must pay a non-refundable application fee. It cannot be returned if you fail to establish that you qualify for the visa.

Apply early!  The wait times for appointments by post are available at the Department of State Travel site. Although the majority of applications are processed and ready to pick up at Empost (the contract courier) within 3-5 business days after the interview, some applications will require administrative processing.  We cannot predict in advance which applications will require administrative processing, not do we know how long it will take.  Please apply at least 6-8 weeks before you plan to travel, and do not book tickets or hotels until you have a visa.

Due to security concerns and space limitations, U.S. consular sections do not permit interested parties such as friends, relatives, attorneys or business contacts to attend the visa interview with the applicant. 

If an interested party wishes to provide information to a specific consular section concerning a particular visa applicant, they are encouraged to supply this information directly to the applicant. The applicant can then bring this information with them to the visa interview. If an applicant requires an escort due to medical reasons, please explain your situation when you arrive at the Consulate to the staff at the gate, and reasonable accommodation will be made.

You cannot apply earlier than 120 days from the start date on your I-20 or DS-2019.  If you receive your visa, you are not allowed to enter the U.S. more than 30 days before the start date on your I-20 or DS-2019.  You should apply as you soon as possible in case of delays issuing your visa.

Send a request through the emergency appointment module at  with your passport number, SEVIS number, I20 start dates, and an explanation of your circumstances.

Please contact your school and request an extension letter or a new I-20. Inform them that your visa is still being processed. When you receive an extension letter or new I-20, please send a copy to the Consulate immediately. Please remember that visa processing cannot be expedited.

If you have dual citizenship and are not a U.S. Citizen, you may apply with whichever passport you prefer to travel with. You must enter and depart the United States using one passport.

Your US visa will require an entire passport page. Please assure that your passport contains at least 1-2 blank visa/stamp pages for your US visa and the associated entry stamps.

There is no official policy banning non-residents from applying for US visas. However, please note that according to U.S. immigration law, all applicants for nonimmigrant visas must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer that they have strong ties to a residence abroad, and that they will depart the United States at the end of their authorized temporary stay.  In other words, applicants must demonstrate strong social, economic, or familial ties outside the United States.  It can be more difficult to demonstrate such ties in a country that is not your home country or a country where you maintain permanent residence.

Applicants must provide a valid email address in their visa application. The email address provided in the application will be recorded in the visa case of the applicant for further correspondence. If using a travel agent’s email address, please ensure you maintain close communication with the travel agency regarding your visa application during the entire visa application process.